- Fixed text rendering glitches which occured on some platforms
- Added an option to enable vertical synchronization, or cap frame rate
- Significantly reduced loading times and data size by compressing spritesheets with pngquant
- Added support for color and emphasis on the command line output
- Fixed an issue in the saving and loading of joystick key bindings
- Ported the xml code from the unmaintained TinyXML1 to pugixml
- More robust xml parsing
- Switched to C++11, modernizing source code
- Replaced pthread with the standard std::thread library
- Fixed cast and float comparison warnings
- Audio & Sound
- Added a flexible sound effect system
- Sound effects are described for each animation
- Variation of pitch to increase realism
- Footstep sounds depend on the ground material
- Added weapon hit, ground hit, and air friction sound effects
- Added several musics for fight scenes
- Added UI sounds for character & arena selection
- Added a flexible sound effect system
- Automated scaling of the framesets generated from source animations
- Animations regenerated, scaled up for a 1080p gameplay
- Smooth movement of the dynamic fight camera
- Takino: Redrawn default punch animation
- More flexible display mode option, especially windowed
- UI elements scale to match the display mode
- Added a jump state, with its own attacks and hit animations
- Added a versus mode, two players always facing each other
- Added a specific camera zoom level per arena
- Added a remaining throwable weapon interface counter
- Physics of throwable weapons improved
- Starting position of players improved
- UI & Options
- Added sound volume control sliders
- Moved key binders to a new tab
- Removed 'apply' button in the options
- Pressing escape resets the main menu
- Text height computation fixed
Development release: 0.8.91
- Initial throwable weapons support (5 wooden shurikens per player)
- Takino's crouched hit animation
- Fixed window creation when multisampling is not supported
- Fixed some physics related issues
- Clarified and centralized license description in COPYING
- Introduction of a data building mechanism from data sources (backported to 0.8.9)
For archlinux-based linux distribution users, Hikou no mizu has been published on the AUR!
- Migration to SDL2 (benefits include joysticks hot-plug support)
- New and improved characters selection menu (with graphics and preview)
- New and improved arena selection menu (with graphics and preview)
- Key binders added
- Joysticks support
- Takino animations drawing completed
- Added four arenas: Konomachi, Longyear, Ísui, and Järvi
- New musics: VHSailing Rally by Riverwave and Hai by Insan3Lik3
- Dynamic fight camera adapting to the position of players in the arena
- Improved fight interface, character icons added
- Hit-able platforms
- Better text rendering (kerning support)
- Switch to the CMake building system
- Haiku support!
Graphical key bindings !
A functional AI !
That's some kind of a jump in version numbers here, justified by the almost-playable state
of the game right now.
Here is the changelog:
- Threaded Music handling
- Fighting music
- Threaded Playlist handling (+ graphics notifiers)
- Menu playlist with epopsan's song (many thanks to him)
- More fighting sounds
- Support for looping sounds: repeating step sounds
- New configurations items for sound & music volumes.
- Coherent GUI Art guidelines in options / menu screens...
- Structured GUI: Sound / image on focus
- Support for crouched characters / kick animations.
- Support for hit animations.
- Hikou: default kick, moving default & punch & kick, crouched default & punch & kick, default hit, crouched hit.
- New Takino: default.
- Notification on fight-ends: winner, choice to replay or exit to main menu
- Debug mode: red squares on hits
- Prettier screens
utf8 characters management ?
Snapshot of revision 87 :)
New animation handling
That's the first task I worked on after 0.1 was released. Back then, animations used to have a fixed origin point
(bottom left of each frame), which made lots of characters' positions impossible.
(Eg. If a character puts an arm left, his arm will become his left origin and his body will move right as a consequence).
Now, each frame both have a content box, containing all the pixels data to be shown on screen, and a body box, only containing the body of the character, thus, the animation is fixed bottom left of the body box, and the overall image isn't fixed anymore (if a character puts an arm left, the arm will go left and the body won't move, as expected).
New attacks handling
Along with the new animations format, I also added more flexibility to attacks handling,
one can now specify precise hit boxes for characters attacks, at a given time and of a given strenght
(hit strength is multiplied by character's strength). Thus, a single attack can damage multiple times,
at two different points, ...
Configuration for attacks & animations is done in data/gfx/characters/[name]/data.xml.
The physics engine was completely redesigned due to a conception issue:
It was manipulating graphics coordinates, which allows any kind of evil (!) collision.
The system is now reversed: physics objects have independant coords that only them can modify, graphics just match them.
As a consequence, physics should be perfectly reliable now (at least I wasn't able to cause any unwanted collision).
Also, physics object can now change their width & height safely (try to jump on takino ;)).
That's it for physics. Oh ! And you can enable the "debug" mode in the options screen to see boxes yourself :).
p.s: Characters' physics boxes are characters' body boxes. (see "New animation handling").
New GUI / option screen
I improved the GUI system and added new widgets. These new widgets are used in a new "options" screen, where you can edit the configuration in game (currently, only resolution and debug mode can be configured that way). There is still work to do although: Better widgets graphics, spinner, in game players keys cfg...
Graphics ! - Title screen background / New hikou
This snapshot features a new Hikou, you can see him in the banner above.
You can find mypaint and synfing animation files on the download repository (link to come). Also, a title screen has been added ! It's a nod to a well-know anime, the first one who writes its name in the forums wins a free beer ;).
I'll now try to draw walking, kicking, walk-kick and walk-punch animations for Hikou, and redraw Takino as well. Anyway, graphics really are a sensible part of Hikou no mizu (It's the kind of project which needs lots of graphics), so, if you like anime drawing, I'll really appreciate any (even small) help :).
Last but not least
- Playability adjustements (jump, gravity, arena size)
- Better handling of different resolutions
All the core modules are implemented and cleaned up in 0.1, the first versioned release.
0.1 announces the ~end of the development for the base of the game, allowing to start adding new
features & real gameplay to it :)
Some new features were added anyway !
- Hnm now uses sdl, opengl, openal instead of sfml. (freetype, libogg, libvorbis, libvorbisfile)
- Time-based movements, animations...
- New sprites-based format for arenas and animations, greatly shrinking the size of the game and some of the RAM usage.
- Arena's size, the camera is adapted to the size of the arena. (for large battles ;))
- Players KO, returns to main menu at end of fight.
- Improved Makefile, gcc default optimization set to -O2
- Source code cleanup.
- Clarified data/COPYING file.
This is the 6th release of Hikou no mizu.Changelog:
- Configuration system (cfg saved in a file in "[your home directory]/.hikounomizu/", data format: "key value")
- Sound engine
- Arena system (configurable; "data/conf/arenas.xml", have fun ;-)) with custom gravity, ground level and players spawn position. You can even add textured platforms in it (which are subject to physics engine) to make beautiful trees or stairs ;-).
- Improved player system, it now supports Human and AI.
- Rewritten player class (improved sourcecode).
- New animation system (improved sourcecode), it shows every frames.
- Added a font manager.
- Resized default window size to 16:9 resolution 1024x576 (previous one was 1000x600)
- GraphicsEngine class removal (useless and binding).
- Fixed most of g++ warnings.
- Minor bug fix in the physics engine.
- Characters jump energy is now configurable outside (see "data/conf/characters.xml"). Have fun ;-)
- Improved Makefile (Variables)
- Minor directories reorganization: removed "fond.png".
Feel free to edit the configuration, create new characters, arenas, menus... by editing cfg/xml files ;-).
This is the fifth release of Hikou no mizu :-).
It includes lots of new features compared to the fourth release (+1200 code lines), especially about the game structure:
- Screen system (Menu, Options, Fight, etc...)
- Menu, character selection, and fight screen
- Minimalist GUI (Buttons: text and image)
- Complex GUI elements (Menus: text (image in the next release))
- Directories reorganization (Tools/ removed)
- English translation (Sourcecode + directories translated from french to english)
It is also noticeable that this release uses actual last revision of SFML 2.
In this revision, the ATI bug was fixed.
This is the fourth release of Hikou no mizu, it includes lots of new features:
- A walking animation was added.
- The characters cannot leave the arena anymore.
- The characters can now jump (using the 'w' key).
- Reorganisation of engines directory.
- The characters lives can now reach the '0' value.
- Fighting interface improved.